Sunday, November 04, 2007

Springtime in McMurdo

I'm back in Antarctica, working at McMurdo Station. I've been back for almost a week. It's good to be here although I was a little surprised by how many people greeted me by saying "welcome home". Considering that this is my 15th summer here in McMurdo, working in Crary Lab, I guess it feels like home.
It's spring, which means the weather is very changeable. This morning started off like a typical early November morning in McMurdo, but the weather has gone downhill. This picture of the flags at the Chalet shows how windy it is now. At least it's warmer than it has been. Now it's about 10 degrees F, but it has been about -20F for the past few days. I just checked the weather and it's Condition 1 out on the sea-ice. In the picture we are looking out over the sea-ice and visibility is "poor". The flight from NZ was canceled and people are stuck where they are for the moment. It sure is nice in the lab though!

4 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two homes! Glad its going well- see you soon Kathy!

Sarah

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger chris said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger chris said...

Hi Kathy. I'm commenting on your blog because I know how much you LOVE it! I had to delete my last comment due to a typo. I'm lame. What did you have for dinner today?

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, two homes. The funny thing is that I've moved from New Hampshire to Nevada to Alabama and to Ohio and I've changed zip codes more times than that, but through all of that, I've worked in Crary Lab 106 for the last 15 years. Last night for dinner we had steak! Today for lunch it was mexican/cookie day (Wednesday!).
Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home