Thursday, February 15, 2007

On my way

I am leaving Antarctica. My plane is on its way here from Christchurch. My transport to the ice runway is in about an hour. I bag dragged last night, so I am living out of one bag until I leave. It is snowing now and it looks foggy on the sea ice. They don't usually fly the planes south to pick us up if they don't think they can land when the get here. PSR is designated as the same time that the plane is due to land, so they can come all the way here and decide to turn around if they think it is unsafe to land. That might happen and I might spend another day here, but probably not. My work is finished, the lab is clean, my knitting is packed, so it's time to go!
It has been a great summer here. I am headed to a warmer version of summer in New Zealand for a little while. I will be in the land of tree ferns. It will be the first time I have experienced darkness (outside) since October. I look forward to star gazing and seeing Orion upside down. I heard that the Ohio State University closed down for a couple of days due to snow. I'm not sorry I missed that. I hope it will be turning to spring in Columbus soon after I arrive. I have become so spoiled over these last 14 years living in perpetual summer. I'm looking forward to seeing my friends at home. I have missed you all and I'm eagerly anticipating to my return to my northern hemisphere life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home